Monday, December 1, 2008

The Introduction

I have been knitting for about 5 years now, give or take. But it is only within the last few months that I have become what I call 'Serious'. Serious...hmmm...when I already have 3 large tubs worth of stash... Yeah.

Well, here's the deal. By serious, I mean actually knitting and finishing things. Like sweaters--that fit--and beautiful scarfs made out of yummy yarn (or just stash-busting the acrylic) instead of the plain garter stitch thing that I made (and lost and loved) a couple of years ago.

My problem? I don't like to follow patterns. I'm a rebel, in that respect; I don't want to knit something that someone else already has. I want to design my own stuff, make my own pattern stitches, and not follow a pattern. Well, I have found a couple of patterns (so far) that lend themselves to my fancies. They are the 'knit by numbers' sweater I found at www.knitty.com, and another simple pattern I found in a Better Homes and Gardens booklet that would lend itself nicely to embellishment.

So, my plans as a knitter who has just discovered exactly what 'knitting' can mean? Well, get rid of half my stash, at least. I don't want it all! Most of it is older yarn, and all of it is acrylic (except for the stuff I've newly acquired, which I wouldn't give up for the world). Then, my plans are to keep it organized, if not in control, and to continue knitting like a fiend!

Now, for my current projects:

A sweater (for me) in 'Spring Lettuce' by Ms. Babs. This is the 'knitting by numbers' sweater that I mentioned earlier. It's going to be a plain one so that I can get the hang of the pattern (not that it's complicated) and the yarn itself is so nice, I don't really need to embellish it. As a matter of fact, the yarn is so nice that I could probably spend a good long time on it. But I won't. Not yet.

The second project is a scarf (again for me) in a pattern stitch that I made up. I love the stitch, too. I can't wait to block the scarf when I'm done so that I can really see it. It's made of Sheep Shop Yarn Sheep 3 in Storm. I love it. It's wool and silk. The yarn makes my hands a little dry when I work with it, but once it's worked up, it's soft and nice and warm feeling.

So that's it for so far, I think. I am practically going crazy because I won't let myself start a new project--not a large one--until I finish that Ms. Babs Sweater. I'll cast on for the first sleeve today. Hopefully I can get by without a row counter. Tally marks are my best friend, haha.

Also, I am so excited, I just got my first sock yarn off of Alpaca Direct (Lorna's Laces Sock Yarn Envy) and my first needles for such a purpose (my smallest that I have right now are 4s, I think). I got size 2 mm/ O us. I hope they turn out once I start them!

But my goal is to only have one large project and one small project going at once, so I don't get out of control and things don't sit for a year and a half. Oh, dread.

So, for my last word, I must ask you to understand that there is no LYS (Local Yarn Shop) in my little hick town. Terrible, isn't it? Fortunately, we have had to visit Oakland recently and I found Article Pract. I love that store! Hopefully I get a chance to go in again.

Other than that, the Internet is my best friend as far as yarn goes. I love Wool Girl and Alpaca Direct and all those that I can get my hands on. And I visit Knitty every day, even if the new zine doesn't come out for months.

And, oh yes, I need to post pictures of the Scarf That Everyone Loves that I made for my mom. But all that later.

And hopefully my posting will be consistent (at least once a month, hopefully once a week, and wishing once a day).

Happy Knitting.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well hello! Yes, you are correct! I will post my stash later on this week, and you may tell me what item you would like. If there's a "lot" you may have one lot, or one yummy skein/project's worth!

:O)

René said...

Thanks! I look forward to viewing the stash :)