Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ah, the Yarnage

Some might think that I'm loosing it a little since I seem to be buying so much yarn from other knitters on Ravelry. Seriously, people are worried. I have to console them by letting them know I am not going to dig myself into a financial ditch by buying too much yarn (is there any such thing?)!

But I am getting some beautiful yarn from some very nice people on Ravelry. Okay, so I don't know them personally, but they've been very nice to me (well, of course; I'm getting beautiful yarn from them).

Seriously, YodaGirl has got somet talent in those fingers! She's a fantastic knitter. PassionateMind is a very sweet person (that's my impression over the InterWebz, anyway) and also a very active knitter. jeanius is the same.

And pix as soona as those yarns come in. I can't wait!

But since the office where I work will be shutting down (mostly) shortly, then I'm going to have to curb my yarn spending a whole lot until I get a new job someplace. I hope that wherever I work next will not be an office job; I really don't think I'm cut out for office work. I don't like it much at all. I wish I could work from home or outside. Maybe I'll just speed through my water training and just do that, but as far as I know there is no demand for a water operater around here just now. *sigh*.

But there's always knitting.

Which brings me to another thing. I cast on the sleeve for the Ms Babs sweater last night and I'm very happy! I thought knitting on bamboo dpns would be a nightmare because they are so light and I hate knitting on light plastic needles. But these are much better than plastic. I really like them. My stitches don't slip like I thought, though they do slip a little (the yarn is slippery, though), and they're really comfortable to work with. Now I know why some knitters swear by wooden needles. I don't think I'll ever use them exclusively--I'm not picky enough for that--but I do think I will be acquireing some more!

But back to the sweater. The increase for the sleave is right after the ribbing--all the increases on one row, which doubles the stitch number on the needles. It makes the sleeve look poufy. That's fine, but I don't want a full length sleeve with a pouf. I'm making them 3/4 length and adding a hood to the sweater. Won't that be just great? It will certainly be unique and I will be very happy with it!

The Merchant Mariner is done, as you have probably guessed. It just needs to be blocked. It's nice and soft and the length is medium. I still have some yarn left over; I don't know what I'll use it for. There's not that much, I don't think. Maybe a lacy cowl?

Anyway, I might just let myself start the socks since I'm so happy! But not tonight, and tomorrow is going to be so busy, I probably won't get a chance to write at all. I'll get on Ravelry for a few minutes in the afternoon because I have the proverbial "promises to keep", but beyond that I'll be busy around the house.

It's getting kinda late, so g'night to all, and Happy Knitting!

No comments: