Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mitts

I really like making mitts. You know, the gloves with half a thumb (or just a thumb hole) and half fingers (or just a long palm part, no separate fingers)? Why? Because I think they're adorable and slightly... I don't know... hmmm quirky? That's not the right word, but it'll have to do!

Anyway, I don't make them much. I should. But I don't, because, you know, in between starting socks, finishing socks, and putting socks down because they're frustrating sometimes, who has time? But last week, for knitting group, I wanted to do something different. I had some Knit Picks City Tweed in Lemon Curd (a lovely, lovely shade of yellow) that I wanted to make into something, and that something was mitts.

I looked high and low on Ravelry for the right pattern, where I (most likely) wouldn't have to take gauge, where I could just go at it when I got there. I found these http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-fan-mitts. They're nice and lacy, but for some reason they look a little... tom-boyish to me. Even though, as I look at them, I can't really see that. At all. It's just the feel of the design, I guess.

Anyway, I managed to print it (finally!) about 20 minutes before I was supposed to go. They're turning out beautifully! I did make some adjustments to the pattern, because that's how I am.

Firstly, I started out with the recommended stitch count, but quickly realized (within the first 4 rounds) that they would be too big if I did that. I'm a loose knitter. So, I took it out, re-cast on with 33 stitches (it's an 11 stitch repeat) and off I went.

As I approached the thumb I realized that I wanted the cuff longer, so I did that. Also, that the thumb was supposed to go on the needle that would have had 22 stitches on it originally (this is knitted in the round on dpns). Oh, well. I figured I could adapt to that. So I did. I kind of did my own increasing at the gusset because sometimes I just can't be bothered with IncR and IncL. I just knit 2 in 1 and that was that. I followed the rounds for increasing - every 3rd - which was a bit difficult because the pattern is on a 4-round repeat. But I did it! The thumb stitches are on a bit of scrap yarn now and I just have to finish the hand/finger part for the first mitt, then it's on do the second.

I really like City Tweed. I like Knit Picks in general, but this is my first time working with City Tweed. I would have expected it to be more splitty and stuff, but it's not! And it's soft. It's very pleasant to work with. It doesn't shed at all either. Another tweed I worked with before did shed and it was a little rough. This one, though. I just love it. I think everyone does!

Other than that? Not much knitting going on.

For my birthday (the 17th) I went to Cindy B.'s craft camp with my sister for the afternoon. I brought my knitting stuff, but didn't knit. They were tie-dying shirts, and I'd never done that before, so I did! It was fun! Although my sister's shirt turned out better than mine, imho. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Also pictures of the baby beaded skunk and the Matrix-colors (read: black and green) lanyard keychain thingy. I know that's a very middle-school-summer-day-camp sort of activity, but I like doing it. Plus... Matrix colors! Come on!

Why, yes, I am a nerd. Thanks for asking!

Oh, yes! And next month, on the 29th, is my first day of college classes! I'm excited. I'll probably move down there on the 28th. I am staying with a family friend; not the dorms. I'm glad, though, because the dorms remind me of a cheep motel room, only you have to share it with a stranger for a long period of time...and I hate motel rooms anyway. So that's all good. I'm making a Jayne Hat at some point so I can wear it around campus while I'm going to school.

I guess that makes me an exhibitionist nerd? Hmm...

So, that's the news for today! I promise; pictures tomorrow! Provided I can find a camera... I think I can :D

Happy Knitting, all you great people!

No comments: