Friday, May 20, 2011

I am Dissapointed

...in myself. One year. Well, nearly... One year since I've posted here, when I had so many hopes and excited feelings about this blogging thing. Reminds me of a few knitting projects I've started, haha.

Well, it isn't too late for new beginnings, is it? Or continuations.

First things first : I've finally finished the first sock of a pair that my dad has been asking for for ages. I've been working on those for nearly a year, too, I think. Seriously, how many mistakes can you make with a simple, toe-up, knee-high sock? Apparently a lot, especially if they're made in navy blue.

I've recently discovered Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Okay, well, that's not completely true. I've heard of her, and looked into her blog once or twice, but never really... gave her a chance, I guess. Then a knitting friend of mine (part of my knitting group, yay! more on that later) gave me a book by her called At Knit's End. I read the whole thing (300 some odd pages) in 2 days. Admittedly, they're small pages, but the book was fantastic and funny and I want it... but I guess I'll have to give it back on Tuesday... sigh...

Now, about this knitting group... I only found out about it last summer, well, August, I think. I was quite nervous, but how can you not feel comfortable around people who love knitting as much as you do, despite the fact that the youngest person there is more than twice your own age?

Really, I don't mind. They're all lovely, amazing, surprising ladies. They are my knitting friends. They understand. That's one of the main things, isn't it? They're the ones that will get excited over Knit Pick's new Tonals in Wool of the Andes and Stroll. Other people will think "That's nice." Or even "How pretty!" but only a knitter will really get excited. Also, with other knitters, you don't have to explain why you're knitting your hundredth pair of socks (or hundredth sock without a mate) or why you've put down that sweater for over 6 months... or why you have to have that yarn in that color, even though you have no idea what you're going to do with it.

We meet on every week on Tuesdays - someone volunteers their house for us to invade and knit and drink tea or coffee. We knit and talk and help each other out from 1 to 3. It's a fantastic arrangement.

Now, let's hope I can get on with this blog and not leave it abandoned again.

Pictures and details about the socks when they are done. All 56 inches of them...

Also, really, anyone reading this should go check out Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's blog (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/) she just finished a shawl out of hand-spun that will make you die to knit some lace!

No comments: